How to remove background noise froma PC microphone ?
With the switch to tele work, video conferences have become inevitable. For your remote meetings to take place in the best conditions, the reduction of background noise from your computer's microphone is essential.
How to remove background noise from’a mic ?
During a video conference, communication may be affected by, among other things, extraneous noise or unwanted sound effects. The same problem can also arise when you make sound recordings with your PC. To solve it, you can proceed by hardware.
Modify the configuration in SON of the’Enhancements
Background noise is most often caused by a configuration problem. For improve sound quality on a Windows PC :
- Go to the control panel;
- Click on " Hardware and audio » ;
- Press on " Her » ;
- Select your audio output device. In general, these are the loudspeakers;
- Click on the " Enhancements » ;
- Check the box " Disable all enhancements » ;
- Finish by pressing " OK ».
Enable noise reduction on Windows
On Windows, the microphone is not set to enable noise cancellation. It is thus necessary toadjust its setting to remove noise, or at least mitigate it. Here is the tutorial:
- Open the Control Panel;
- Click on " Hardware and audio » ;
- Press on " Her » ;
- Open the " Registration ». The different devices for audio recording will be displayed;
- Right-click on the active microphone then press " Properties » ;
- In the tab " Levels ", set the value in the field " Microphone " on 100 and the one in the field " Microphone boost " on +10.0dB ;
- Go to the " Improvements » ;
- Check the box " Immediate mode » if it is not activated;
- Do the same with the boxes " Noise cancellation " And " Cancellation of the’acoustic echo » ;
- Press on " Apply » then click on « OK » to save changes.
What software to use to reduce noise ?
For reduce the noise of your PC's microphone, it is also possible to use the software channel. If you regularly play online games that require you to chat with other gamers, opt for Discord. This tool incorporates an option that suppresses ambient noise from the microphones.
It is available for both Windows and MacOS. To use it:
- Open Discord ;
- See you in " Settings » then in « Voice and video » ;
- Select " Advance » ;
- Activate the option " noise cancellation ».
Therefore, you will see a noticeable reduction of external noise. To further improve your gaming experience, consider equipping yourself withquality headphones.
For your videoconferences, you can opt for Google Meet. This application includes a tool capable of reducing unwanted noise during video calls. To activate this feature before a videoconference:
- Meeting on meet.Google.com ;
- Select a video call;
- Click on " More » then on « Settings » ;
- Press on " Audio » ;
- Activate the’option " Noise cancellation » ;
- Click on " To take part to a meeting ».
The video call app Zoom also includes a function that reduces background noise and removes annoying sounds:
- In the desktop client, tap your profile picture then click " Settings » ;
- Select " Video " Then " Advance » ;
- Click on " Activate noise cancellation ».
To record a soundtrack without background noise, bet on Audacity. This free software accepts several types of audio files and has a noise reduction tool. To use it:
- Drag the mouse over a portion of the audio file that contains only noise to choose a basic soundscape;
- Press on " noise reduction " in the menu " Effects » ;
- Select " Take the noise profile » ;
- Choose " Select – All » to select the entire clip;
- Press again " noise reduction " In " Effects » ;
- Choose discount options;
- Adjust the intensity sliders if background noise persists;
- Finish by clicking on " To validate ».
Invest in a noise-canceling microphone
When applied to a microphone, noise-canceling technology allows your caller to hear you better. The effect depends on the shape of the microphone and its positioning. Other factors such as digital signal processing also play a role.
THE helmets the most sophisticated are equipped with several microphones that take noise-canceling technology to the next level. Concretely, one of the microphones is located closer to the mouth of the user than the other. The first is used to capture the voice while the second allows to intercept ambient noise.
A digital algorithm then comes in to eliminate surrounding noise and isolate your voice.
When she touches listeners, there noise canceling technology benefits the user himself. The latter can, for example, listen to music without being disturbed by surrounding noise. In this case, the noise canceling technology comes in two types.
There's the Passive noise reduction which is attributable to the physical characteristics of headphones (materials, design, etc.)). This technology is particularly effective in blocking irregular and acute sounds.
There Active noise reduction, For its part, consists in drastically reducing the noise that reaches your ears. It protects mainly from regular sounds and low frequencies such as the radiator buzz. This technology is notably used in a stereo audio helmet.
Alexander Suhorucov cover photo from Pexels
Online purchase D’a micro -performance helmet with increased performance
During’a videoconferencing or at the time of’Save a sound on a computer, it happens that’A background noise problem occurs. To avoid this kind of inconvenience, it is possible to modify the sound configuration via the appropriate parameters. You can also use the noise reduction system of your system’exploitation or use software and applications to improve the sound reproduction of the microphone on PC.
To avoid background noise and unwanted noise that can disrupt your online communications and your music recordings, you should find a good headset with microphone on a reliable and reputable online store. This allows you to discover different models of headsets from major brands with satisfactory performance.
You can proceed to’purchase of’A headset with circumaural microphone capable of completely isolating you from ambient noise. You can also choose a supra-aural headset allowing you to concentrate on your communication or your music while being attentive to what is happening around you. You can still’opt for a headset with wired microphone, wireless, a Bluetooth headset, a connected headset…
In any case, consult the description of each headset with microphone that catches your attention on the online store specializing in computer and high-tech equipment.